Tuesday 22 May 2012

Read a range of poetry from different writers

We all have a favourite poet or two. My favourite contemporary poets are John Hegley, Tony Walsh and Paul Eccentric. I also enjoy reading Larkin and Blake. Each of  these poets has inspired me, and pushed my writing on in one way or another.

If I just continued reading these poets though, my inspiration would probably wane, and my writing would stagnate. I therefore try to discover different writers on a regular basis. I studied English Literature at University, so I am well-versed in the works of Coleridge, Byron, Wordsworth, Keats etc. I therefore try to complement their works by reading as many contemporary poets as possible, and not always the well known.

Sometimes I find it uplifting to read works from new poets who have won, or been highly placed, in poetry competitions. Their works can move your own writing in a different direction, and give you fresh impetus to develop your writing further. If you analyse the poems you may find they do not fit into what you consider to be traditional poetic forms. This is a good thing though, as it shows how much poetry is evolving. Good poetry will always be able to stir the emotions, make you think, and be structured in some thoughtful way - but this does not mean it needs to conform with the way poetry was written in the 1600s, 1800s or even the 1980s.

If you are serious about being a good poet, and developing your writing further, it is imperative that you read as widely as possible.

www.georgestanworth.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers